Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mai tai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i screwwd up the quotes but i am to dumb to figure out how to do mulltiple quotes and then my repley in my post.

(i wanted it to look like how star and gumbi do it)[/quote]

fallen_milkman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kuntao

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muaythaiboxer wrote:
TMA combat orented? no way doing hours of forms and stance work is combative.

I REALLY think a lot of you miss the point of forms. Forms don't teach you how to fight. They are simply ways of organizing self defense techniques in a pattern that is easy to remember and transfer to a student.

When I go through a form, I imagine each and every attack those forms are meant to be defending and countering against. I even try them out in our sparring drills, they work very well. Not sure why I usually find traditional arts being badmouthed. There is no bad art, only bad artists.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UFC Reply with quote

Tombstone wrote:
Greetings,

Im currently training to compete in the UFC. I was wondering what a Martial Artists view about the UFC would be. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Where ever there are rules for fighting, there is always that nagging doubt... what if it was a real fight will no rules?

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always put that shoe on the other foot:

If I am training in a style where we are learning lethal techniques, but due to their nature, I can't practice them at full force, will I be able to use them effectively on the street?

Gumbi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SevenStar wrote:
you can always put that shoe on the other foot:

No- a shoe made for a left foot wont fit on a right foot because it'll be mis shaped and odd looking.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only learning lethal techniques is useless unless that's your job (hitman). Otherwise most MA's teach both as far as I understand. The difference is the way we are taught is to know both ways of doing things so that you have options. If you don't practice them at all you won't know when they can be used against you. So it's better to know them than not to know them. Lethal means deadly right?

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

mai tai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch wrote:
I think only learning lethal techniques is useless unless that's your job (hitman). Otherwise most MA's teach both as far as I understand. The difference is the way we are taught is to know both ways of doing things so that you have options. If you don't practice them at all you won't know when they can be used against you. So it's better to know them than not to know them. Lethal means deadly right?

can you give me an example of a lethal technique?

mai tai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mai tai wrote:
Treebranch wrote:

can you give me an example of a lethal technique?
besides chokes

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few ways to do neck breaks. One is basically a standing RNC where their head is kept very close to your chest and you drop your weight straight down while applying the choke so to crank the head forward sheering the cervical spine. The other is a traditional neck break where you twist the persons head to break the neck. Then there are countless ways to set someone up for a knife hand to the trachea. Other ways include throws that cause the person to land on the top part of their head which could break the but will split the skull if on hard surface. Also there are a multitude of lethal techniques with weapons.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Daedalus
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Wado Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treebranch wrote:
There are a few ways to do neck breaks. One is basically a standing RNC where their head is kept very close to your chest and you drop your weight straight down while applying the choke so to crank the head forward sheering the cervical spine. The other is a traditional neck break where you twist the persons head to break the neck. Then there are countless ways to set someone up for a knife hand to the trachea. Other ways include throws that cause the person to land on the top part of their head which could break the but will split the skull if on hard surface. Also there are a multitude of lethal techniques with weapons.
So basically your saying that taking a neck crank beyond the point of submission is a lethal technique? Well then why not just take a choke beyond the point of pass-out and you'll get the same effect. And throwing someone of their head? You mean like a supplex? Yeha sure they can be fatal, but it's not like you can just pull it whenever you want. I bet 9/10 it wouldn't kill the guy. Why can't we just agree that randori is the best way to train but you should also study the more "fatal" techniques in case you ever need to use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: