Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Sensei of Brasshand Style, but practicioner of many

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm to bad my career wont have anything to do with anything like that....Pharmacist...haha

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad thing at all. Indoors, regular hours, good pay. Sounds like a good call to me.

FitOrDie!
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB of C wrote:
FitOrDie! wrote:
Aha... Hard data... So I'm to understand that this guy doing his little hammer fist punch can hit a chest SO hard that it will stop someone's heart? And what of the century or more of boxers in the world. You're telling me this guy can hit harder than a giant man like Tyson, or any skilled boxer for that matter, and that Tyson never once delivered a shot to someone's chest? You're telling me that Bas Rutten can't kick harder than this guy doing his hammer fist, or that Bas has never kicked someone in the chest?

The stuff about the nerves was interesting, I wish they would have talked about that more, it sounds a little more feasible. I'll believe the death strike when I see it kill someone. Until then, I'd say a sledge hammer stroke is the best way to achieve a one hit, one kill.

It's not just about all that. Mike Tyson punches very differently and wore protective gloves when he fights. To deliver the force to stop the heart with that technique, it needs to be done a very specific way. Same thing with the kicks.

Punching "differently" or not, it does not matter. Force is force, an impact is an impact, and plenty of other types of fighters don't use gloves, not that it makes much of a difference in this case. So this skinny little ninja guy can apply a force that, frankly isn't all that impressive, (ignore the wows of the testers, please), to someone's sternum. Woopty doo, I say. When I see someone drop dead from a relatively light blow to the chest, I'll believe it.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.
-Sun Tzu

FitOrDie!
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Yeah, not really buying it. I agree, I'd have like to hear more about the physiological effects on hard trauma to the nerves, but the intro voice over made it difficult to settle in and take any of it seriously.

The ninja guy dancing around like he did as the voice over occurred also made it hard to take seriously. But then, it's hard to take any "dim mak" talk seriously.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.
-Sun Tzu

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Sensei of Brasshand Style, but practicioner of many

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FitOrDie! wrote:
tallgeese wrote:
Yeah, not really buying it. I agree, I'd have like to hear more about the physiological effects on hard trauma to the nerves, but the intro voice over made it difficult to settle in and take any of it seriously.

The ninja guy dancing around like he did as the voice over occurred also made it hard to take seriously. But then, it's hard to take any "dim mak" talk seriously.

Whenever I hear Dimmak I think of Jean Claude Van Damme in bloodsport...haha

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Found...one hit, one kill... Reply with quote

Bushido-Ruach wrote:

[E]ven though it isn't what I was talkinga bout in the other forum topic where this was mentioned, I thought I would put it out there for you anyways . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZZr94WFRc

I like this series of videos, Bushido_Ruach, especially the computer-generated "see-through" fighters.

I knew that a solid shot to the armpit hit a nerve center, and I've thought of a strike to the neck using the forearm like a club as blunt force trauma. It might stun someone enough to knock him out.

There was some "media hype" about the hammer fist blow to the chest and dim mak, but I think of that strike to the sternum as a valid one. I've practiced on BOB using a palm heel, instead, for a greater chance to be precisely between the pectoral muscles. I've wondered if a really strong strike there could fracture the sternum.

Interesting video.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:

As to stopping the heart with a strike, look at all the people who hit their chests on steering wheel colums every year in auto accidents, few of them are dropping dead due to a coronary incident other than those predesposed to it from an exsisting condition. If two cars hitting each other aren't doing it, I'm sure not with a hammer fist.

As far as people shoving appendages thru boards, yes, it's impressive. And one would think that force like that could do serious truama. And I'm sure it can. But remember that the soft tissue of the body gives as it absorbes force. Unlike wood which has no where to go, soft tissue will move about. That's not to say it won't be injured, it just means that things with out a sharp force mulitplier (ie. knives, pens and such) are hard to shove thru soft tissue.

Also, that pine isn't moving. In conflict, movement is paramount and thus that kind of focued striking power is less spectacualar. Again, impressive but it might not speak to killing ability with a single movement.

True. These science shows tend to undermine the human body's addaptive capabilities to the minimum. Like fight quest telling me a spinning back kick can break ribs...maybe if it's done with the deliberate concentration that people use to break rows of cinderblocks or if they're kicking a three-year-old. Otherwise - definately not. Or one science show that told me the human skull was about as consistent as a watermellon. Yet I have yet to see a watermellon break a thirteen cinderblocks in one blow.

Bushido-Ruach
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Self-defense MMA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traymond wrote:
FitOrDie! wrote:
tallgeese wrote:

Whenever I hear Dimmak I think of Jean Claude Van Damme in bloodsport...haha

That's the biggest hindrance to dim muk teaching here in the states...Hollywood has so distorted the truth behind the technique that no one takes it seriously.

Here is another example, in my own words so that I don't infringe anyone in the same field...along the Stomach meridian is points 16 and 17 (about an inch above the nipple and on the nipple, respectively), if either one of these points are struck hard enough (or both simultaneously - "hard enough" being 12 pounds of pressure or greater), they will shock the heart and it will stop functioning. The attacker won't have a heart attack, it will simply stop pumping.

There are numerous acupuncture points along the body, some of them can be used to cause great damage along with healing...there are a few that, if struck hard enough, or in a certain succession, can cause KO and/or death.

Bushido-Ruach
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Self-defense MMA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Found...one hit, one kill... Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
Bushido-Ruach wrote:

[E]ven though it isn't what I was talkinga bout in the other forum topic where this was mentioned, I thought I would put it out there for you anyways . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZZr94WFRc

I like this series of videos, Bushido_Ruach, especially the computer-generated "see-through" fighters.

I knew that a solid shot to the armpit hit a nerve center, and I've thought of a strike to the neck using the forearm like a club as blunt force trauma. It might stun someone enough to knock him out.

There was some "media hype" about the hammer fist blow to the chest and dim mak, but I think of that strike to the sternum as a valid one. I've practiced on BOB using a palm heel, instead, for a greater chance to be precisely between the pectoral muscles. I've wondered if a really strong strike there could fracture the sternum.

Interesting video.

I liked the see-thru aspect also, it was pretty cool.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido-Ruach wrote:
Here is another example, in my own words so that I don't infringe anyone in the same field...along the Stomach meridian is points 16 and 17 (about an inch above the nipple and on the nipple, respectively), if either one of these points are struck hard enough (or both simultaneously - "hard enough" being 12 pounds of pressure or greater), they will shock the heart and it will stop functioning. The attacker won't have a heart attack, it will simply stop pumping.

How do they portray the fact that this amount of pressure will cause the heart to stop? Have they tried it, and then recussitated someone? Or is it based off other data?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: