Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but martial artist who've trained a bulk of their lives in unarmed combat are hardly "laymen" when it comes to this field.
Some might still be, but most have been around, seen quite a bit and usually have a keen mind about such matters.

After seeing no evidence (hence, not even seeing the gymnastic feat) for years, and never having accadentally run into anythying that would be classified as dim mak the decision on which side of the fence to fall on become easier.

I'll rethink my feeling on it when I see someone reliably do this kind of thing to another who isn't one of their own students . Then, I'll be an even bigger beleiver when someone utlized it in the UFC, say where opponants move at full speed and are really trying to inflict damage.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
As I've always experienced, the lay person is not satisfied with one's ability to do any feat that they themselves cannot do and which is difficult enough that they have a hard time imagining themselves doing unless magic is invoked.

I have on multiple occasions had people tell me that my ability to do moderately acrobatic feats of balance CANNOT be "just practice and training" as I claim. They ARGUE with me that I am deluded about my non-mystical explanation of how to do them. They invariably conclude that I am obviously using some mystical, magic, non-scientific, non-physical energy or ability, and that I am either lying to them or are deluded about it being a trained skill.

Man, that's a different approach. I am surprised that someone would actually argue the point like that with you. You should have them come in for a class, so that they can really see what it is all about.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
I'll rethink my feeling on it when I see someone reliably do this kind of thing to another who isn't one of their own students . Then, I'll be an even bigger beleiver when someone utlized it in the UFC, say where opponants move at full speed and are really trying to inflict damage.

I don't think that we will ever see this; not because some of us feel the idea is bunk, but because those that claim to have such abilities insist that they will not ever use it for anything so trivial as winning a competition. So, the proof that we all desire to see will never be allowed to happen.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:

I have on multiple occasions had people tell me that my ability to do moderately acrobatic feats of balance CANNOT be "just practice and training" as I claim. They ARGUE with me that I am deluded about my non-mystical explanation of how to do them. They invariably conclude that I am obviously using some mystical, magic, non-scientific, non-physical energy or ability, and that I am either lying to them or are deluded about it being a trained skill.

It's funny you mention that! People do the same thing to me. They find out I've been doing martial arts all my life and they assume I can levitate or something. People will believe what they want...truth rarely matters.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

tallgeese wrote:

I don't think that we will ever see this; not because some of us feel the idea is bunk, but because those that claim to have such abilities insist that they will not ever use it for anything so trivial as winning a competition. So, the proof that we all desire to see will never be allowed to happen.

Brian, do you remember that there was a posting on another forum about a ki master (the "mystical, magic, non-scientific, non-physical energy or ability" that Justice Zero tries to tell others he does not have) who demonstrated on his students first, then fought a mixed-martial artist? I relocated it on YouTube.

For anyone interested, the quality's not the best; I think it was better in the past. I found it because I knew what to enter from that past posting. It's mistitled (IMO) "Kiai" instead of "Ki" Master, but when you watch it, you'll know what it's about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall that video. But, what I am mentioning, is the televised appearance in an MMA competition, like the UFC, or the Affliction, or even the UFC Fight Nights on cable.

But thanks for bringing that up, Joe. It does provide some cross-examination material.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one actually, though it's tough to see if it was just the single strike that got him:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news?articleid=2959858

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
Here's one actually, though it's tough to see if it was just the single strike that got him:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news?articleid=2959858

In the article, below the photos, it says that when the victim fell, he struck his head against railings, resulting in multiple head injuries, which took his life.

The article does make clear, though, that if we strike or use a takedown, the guy on the receiving end may experience greater injury than we intended--from the fall. It's not only in the movies or on TV, where somebody hit his head on the rock that just happened to be there; someone can land on a cement sidewalk, etc. It doesn't even have to result in death to cause greater damage, like a fractured hip from the fall.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a terrible thing, too. So many times, people don't think about the consequences of their actions before doing something.

FitOrDie!
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so much quoting, cross talking... I get lost, so let's just ask.

Does anyone posting still believe in the Dim Mak?

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.
-Sun Tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: