Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 512, 513, 514 ... 534, 535, 536  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/11/2022

Strength Training

Back to the gym!

Leg Press: 45x10, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5.
Deadlifts: 185x5, 205x3, 225x3, 275x2, 305x5, 330x2.
Conditioning: rowing, 1 minute on, 1 minute off, for 13 minutes.

I need to start doing something else for my legs, so I'm trying the leg press again. I still felt a little pain in the adductor tendon. We'll see what progressive overload does for it here.

10/13/2022

Strength Training

Leg Press: 45x10, 255x5, 255x5, 255x5.
RDLs: 45x5, 135x5, 155x5, 190x8, 190x8, 190x8.
Barbell Rows: 140x8, 140x8, 140x8.

RDLs felt really good on the lats today. Hopefully, that is the exercise that helps to fix the "floating bar" on my deadlifts.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/14/2022

Strength Training

Hack Squats: 45x8, 95x8, 95x8, 95x8.
Snatch Grip Deadlifts: 105x5, 145x5, 195x3, 220x5, 220x5.
Conditioning: skip rope, 10 minutes, but not continuous. I started out and skipped until I "missed," then rested briefly, and started back up. I'm hoping to just get better at this over time. I've always wanted to be able to skip rope like I've seen Boxers do, being able to do double and triple skips, alternating feet, etc.

The hack squats ripped me up! The leg press didn't make me sore at all, but the hack really tore up the kinetic chain. Going to do some more next week. Snatch deads felt good; 195 was a bit of struggle, but the work sets went smoothly. I can tell that I'm probably going to need to use straps pretty soon.

10/15/2022

Women's PDS: Just a little over an hour, with only two people showing up for the session. I warned the CI to get commitments, not interest. Hundreds of views and shares on Facebook, and he was certain the turnout was going to be high. It wasn't, and I was quite frustrated with it.[/u]

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
10/11/2022

RDLs felt really good on the lats today. Hopefully, that is the exercise that helps to fix the "floating bar" on my deadlifts.

Awesome, hopefully that's you found your solution!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
10/11/2022

Awesome, hopefully that's you found your solution!

I'm really hoping so. It's been a point of frustration for me as I've gone up in weight.

10/17/2022

TKD Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. Black Belt Class. Started out with going through Do-Kang 1 several times. We had a new black belt in the class who was still learning it for his next testing, so we focused early on it. We went through it a few different counts, and then on our own count.

I performed Choong Jang twice, facing different directions each time. I hadn't done that in a while, and it was a good change up. There is a spot in the form where we have to drop to a knee and do a round kick while kneeling, followed by a right hand punch while still kneeling, then we stand up into a backwards elbow strike. This section of the form is really clunky, so paced my way through it. My knees don't like me changing levels like that, and then trying to stand up. When I do stand up into the elbow strike, I tend to miff the back stance I get into a little bit, so I've focused on that footwork. Also did Se Jong twice. That tends to be one of the "forgotten forms" for us, as we don't spend a lot of time on it. Reviewing it was a good thing.

I watched our two 2nd dans do Gae Baek, once at their own count, then I went through and really picked at it a second time through. I know some of the students are planning on attending a tournament this weekend, so hopefully they took some things away to help them out.

Next spent time picking a random form for the black belts to do, and watching them go through them. There were a few hiccups, but for the most part, the students got through their respective forms. A young 1st degree had trouble with Yul Gok, though, and I had to lead her through by count.

I did get a very little bit of stretching done. My left arm is still hurting from the PDS on Saturday, so nothing I did had a lot of snap or power in it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/18/2022

Strength Training

Hack Squats: 45x5, 105x8, 105x8, 105x8.
Leg Press: 265x5, 265x5, 265x5.
Deadlifts: 185x5, 225x3, 275x1, 310x5.

Basically did supersets with the hack/leg press. I'd like to be doing higher numbers, but I've got to do it right, too. Deadlift went well, but I felt kind of fatigued as I was doing it. Kept the work set in contact with the legs for the most part.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/19/2022

TKD Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. T-Shirt Class. No sparring today. My shoulder is really limiting what I can do, and at how high an impact. I did some forms; Chon Ji, Dan Gun, Bo Choong, and Do San, but not very hard. Did focus on stances and proper technique, and really engaging the hips for power and a little snap.

I also used Bob to work on some of SPEAR DT concepts, standing in an interview stance and tilting Bob back to simulate a headbutt, working into the flinch and then elbow strikes from various angles. Working the closest weapon/closest target principle.

I also spent portions of the class working with a young low rank on some technique. She was doing back leg round kicks on the heavy bag, with her left leg at first. She struggled with her left leg, but her right leg she did just fine. I stood a kicking shield up so she had to chamber her leg up properly to kick over it. Sometimes she'd drag the leg up in a straight-leg motion, and other times she'd forget to pivot entirely. With her right leg, she did just fine.

After that, I was having her focus on engaging her hips while doing a down block and a high block, trying to get her to see the value in doing a technique with the whole body.

Next, she was working with the makeshift makiwara we have set up, so I helped instruct her a little on that. I explained to her how the structure of the technique if important in dealing with the "feedback" you get when striking the makiwara. Focusing on the punch being straight, striking with the proper knuckles, getting the arm lined up, and again engaging the hips for power.

Lastly, she was doing some hopping side kicks on the mini-Bob we have. When she would hop together, her body would go from being lined up (hips, shoulders, knees, heels) to her hips turning in, causing her body to be V'ed when she landed the kick, sacrificing power and just the overall integrity of the technique. The fix was to get her to point her butt at the target and try to keep everything lined up as she struck the target. She had a little trouble keeping it lined up, bringing her hip in when she hopped forward, but if she kept her butt pointed, she'd end up staying pretty well in line with the target.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/20/2022

Strength Training

Hack Squats: 45x8, 115x8, 115x8, 115x8.
Leg Press: 275x5, 275x5, 275x5.
RDLs: 45x5, 135x5, 155x5, 195x8, 195x8, 195x8.
Barbell Rows: 145x8, 145x8, 145x8.
Conditioning: 15 minutes of rowing, 1 min on, 1 min off.
Stretch: quads, hams, glutes.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/21/2022

Strength Training

Leg Press: 245x5, 285x5, 285x5, 285x5.
Snatch Grip Deadlifts: 105x5, 115x5, 155x3, 205x1, 225x5, 225x5.
Conditioning: 15 minutes of rowing, 1 minute on, 1 minute off.
Stretch: quads, hams, glutes.

10/25/2022

Strength Training

Hack Squats: 125x8, 125x8, 125x8.
Leg Press: 285x5, 285x5, 285x5.
Deadlifts: 225x3, 275x2, 315x5.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting to post here!

Yesterday 10/25

Finally have gym access again thanks to my new office. I'm feeling it today, but it feels great to feel it.

Squats: 3 sets of 15 @ 75 pounds
Deadlifts: 3 sets of 15 @ 75 pounds
Calf raises: 3 sets of 15 @ 75 pounds
30 minutes of rowing machine at highest setting.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/26

5K run

My average pace is improving. Yesterday, it was 11:03/mile, with my first mile being done in 9:43. I finished at 34:15.

It's been awhile since I was a runner (pre-pandemic) and my heartrate needs work. Averaged 180. While that is peak for the entire time, I didn't feel in pain, nor really any abnormal discomfort, so I put it out of my mind and just paid attention to the podcast I was listening to. Previous experience tells me that this is normal, and that in a month my HR should be in Aerobic area when I run.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 512, 513, 514 ... 534, 535, 536  Next
Page 513 of 536
Jump to: